Offering Land


Useful Link: Checklist for Community Supported Agriculture

This checklist, from the Soil Association, is intended to help farmers and growers form a proposal and choose a model for a new CSA. These are all questions that are likely to arise as a new CSA is formed. Community Supported Agriculture or CSA is defined as a partnership between farmers and consumers where the risks and rewards are shared. There is more information about CSA, including case studies and an action manual for setting up a CSA at


Useful Link: Register of Surplus Public Sector Land

You can use the following link to browse surplus land (and buildings) owned by central government and its various agencies which is available to buy or lease. It is administered by the Government Property Unit, which is part of the Cabinet Office. Use the link below to access the information - it is expected to be updated quarterly:


Useful Document: Somerset Land & Food Project Report

The Somerset Land & Food Project has been a three year access to land project, launched in 2009 and funded by the Big Lottery Local Food Programme. It was managed by Somerset Community Food, a grassroots charity founded in 2004, which aims to re-connect people with the social, health and environmental effects of growing, buying, preparing and eating local food. 


CLAS Advisory: Community Lettings Questionnaire

The aim of this document is to aid communication between a community group and landowner, regarding a proposed project on a piece of land. By completing the questionnaire the community group will address a number of important issues that will be key to the project’s success. The landowner will be reassured of what form the project will take. It could be seen as part of a business or action plan for the project and may also help with funding bids. Download the document using the link below:


Leases: Sample Lease Templates (Scotland)

The Community Land Advisory Service has created several lease agreement templates which are intended to be used as a basis or starting point for your own agreement, rather than as a finished item. It is strongly recommended that you take legal advice before entering into any type of agreement. Follow the simple four step process below to find the most suitable template for you along with guidance information on how to adapt and use it.


Leases: Rent Survey

CLAS has surveyed a random sample of community gardens about their land agreements and what rent they pay. The projects surveyed are diverse in scale, purpose and location. Some are trading, others are social; some are informal and others are incorporated. The landlords are also varied. Some are local authorities, others are private. Some land is rural, some urban. The rents paid vary from zero to over a thousand pounds.

Obviously rental amounts vary enormously and are based on each individual circumstance, but examples may be useful as a starting point for discussion.


Offering Land: Making The Most of Local Assets Guide

This guide, produced by the Asset Transfer Unit and primarily at local authority land holders, explores the range of tools available to unleash the creativity, innovation and growth flowing from community asset ownership and management.

It aims to support councillors when discussing Asset Transfer issues with local voluntary and community groups, parish councils or within their own authority and to help with demonstrating Localism.


Offering Land: Land Partnerships Handbook

This handbook is aimed primarily at landowners and land based 'businesses' including communtiy growing projects and CSAs. It describes a new approach to help landowners parcel out land and buildings on which ‘land entrepreneurs’ can establish new, independent businesses.

The approach places strong emphasis on the process of forming and maintaining sound business-to-business relationships. It deals mostly with farming land, but contains a good structure for process of taking land on and an excellent top 10 list of things that landowners are looking for from potential land leasers.


Useful Link: Tenant Farmers Association

Tenant Farmers Association

The Tenant Farmers Association gives professional advice, including legal advice, to its members. The TFA is the only organisation dedicated to the agricultural tenanted sector and is the authentic voice on behalf of tenant farmers.  The TFA lobbies at all levels of Government and gives professional advice to its members.  Access to advice, information and services designed specifically for tenant farmers is available to those who join the association.


National Farmers Union

The National Farmers Union

0870 845 8458

The NFU is the largest farming organisation in the UK and provides professional representation and services to its farmer and grower members. It has a network of local offices and advisers.



Subscribe to RSS - Offering Land


© Gwasanaeth Cynghori ar Dir Cymunedol 2015